Elective Title: 84SO701 — STUDENT OUTREACH CLINICS (TERRE HAUTE): VOLUNTEER
The Indiana Student Led Clinics (ISLC) Volunteer Elective is a non-credit bearing, complete/incomplete elective for students participating in an IU School of Medicine student-led clinic. Students will engage in faculty-supervised medical service to the local community and learn principles of community-based medicine for the underserved.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Heather LeBrun (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Robert Ehresman, M.D.
Campus: Terre Haute
Location: IUSM - Terre Haute
- 1) Describe the philosophy of the Indiana Student Led Clinic (ISLC) project (SBP5)
- 2) Summarize major federal, state, and local medical coverage programs and the general communities served by each (SBP3)
- 3) Identify common barriers to health care and the impact of these obstacles on the well-being of patients in the communities served by the ISLC (MK7)
- 4) Analyze how an individual's values, life circumstances, and familial and cultural influences, within the context of patient encounters, can motivate his or her behavior, health care utilization, and interpretations of health care information and decision-making (SBP2)
- 5) Describe and utilize the expertise of other team members, as appropriate, in the care of the patient, being aware of their particular abilities, skills, and role in health care delivery (SBP1)
- 6) Demonstrate active listening and use of verbal and nonverbal skills while engaging others in respectful dialogue to establish rapport and constructive collaborations with patients, peers, faculty, and the health care team (ISC3)
- 7) Demonstrate the essentials of taking a patient history and physical examination, as appropriate to the student's clinical level of training in the traditional curriculum, in the particular context of care for the underserved (PC1)
- Professional Development Evaluation Form; ISLC Volunteer Elective Medical Student Evaluation Form;( Post-orientation module multiple choice questionnaire [objectives 1-3]; Observation by and discussion with faculty (on an individual basis and via a group reflection that clinic day) for a minimum of two completed evaluations [objectives 3-7]).
Prerequisites: Must be enrolled at IUSM
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 2
Time Distribution: 95% Clinical, 5% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: PD - Professional Development
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Heather LeBrun (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH Students will engage in faculty-supervised medical service to the local community at an ISLC. Must check with Clinical Coordinator, Heather LeBrun , for availability at (firstname.lastname@example.org), 812-237-8763.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: Students will work with Social workers, Dieticians, Nurse Practitioners and Physicians Assistants.
Service Learning Included: Yes
Detaials for Service Learning: