Elective Title: 82YF704 — FAMILY MEDICINE IN A COMMUNITY-BASED RESIDENCY
Student will be associated with the Family Medicine Residency Program in Jasper, Indiana and will learn fundamentals of family medicine by clinical experience through direct patient care. Emphasis is placed on management of the entire family in a community setting. Student will follow patients in clinic and/or Family Medicine Residency office, hospital, long-term care facilities, and home environment. Students will experience a wide-range of clinical experiences in a rural, community setting. Residents are involved in the teaching of this course. Housing is provided.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Caren Whitehouse (email@example.com)
Director: Nikola Conrad, M.D.
Location: Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center
- Improve skills for developing management plans for patients with complex medical issues (PC3)
- Continue to develop proficiency with the independent evaluation of patients as well as the documentation of patient encounters (PC1)
- Develop an enhanced level of comfort in delivering care through a diversity of scenarios which will include maternity and newborn care through adult inpatient care and the outpatient setting (PC1)
- Communicate effectively with patients and other members of the health care team (ISC1)
- Apply evidence-based medicine principles as a routine preventive and wellness measure (MK5)
- Explain the pathophysiology of common Family Medicine encounters (MK3)
Clinical Performance Evaluation Form
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Completion of the Family Medicine Clerkship
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40+
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: AC- Advanced Clinical
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Caren Whitehouse (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH: Contact Caren Whitehouse (email@example.com) at IUSM-Evansville for enrollment permission. Priority will be given to 4th-year students, with consideration of 3rd-year students who have completed their Family Medicine clerkship. This course is only offered for IUSM students, not available for students from other schools.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Interprofessional collaboration with nursing staff, long-term care facility personnel, social workers
Service Learning Included: None