Elective Title: 71YF713 — FAMILY MEDICINE - IN-DEPTH ELECTIVE
Full Spectrum Family Medicine rotational experience. Prior to participation in the elective, the student will receive background information on family medicine and a detailed schedule of the elective. The student, functioning in the capacity of a junior resident, will team up with a senior family medicine resident, caring for adult, pediatric and OB patients in both inpatient and outpatient settings. The student will be expected to take call with the senior resident, as mutually agreed upon. The student will participate in daily educational conferences. The elective will emphasize problem solving skills leading to the practice of comprehensive, high quality, cost conscious, ambulatory care medicine. Extra areas of interest are available upon request including time in an underserved clinic, more OB experience, Sports Medicine exposure and/or colonoscopy.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Rachel Schuster, D.O.
Campus: South Bend
Location: Memorial Hospital (South Bend)
- 1) Recognize conditions which requires outpatient care, admission, consultation, and referral (PC1)
- 2) Diagnose and treat common inpatient conditions based on the latest evidence (PC1)
- 3) Identify psychosocial issues which impact the care of hospitalizes patients (SBP2)
- 4) Communicate effectively with patients and other members of the health care team (ISC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation by course director and resident faculty).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 60
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 1% Research; 15% Lecture/Seminar; 4% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Stacey Jackson (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH This course may be dropped/added with 15 days of the beginning date for the elective. All South Bend electives must go thru the South Bend campus coordinator. Contact Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-1870)
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None