Elective Title: 53ZI702 — HEALTHCARE LEADERSHIP
This elective in healthcare leadership and administration will expose the 4th year medical student to the theoretical and practical aspects of the health care delivery system from a historical, comparative, economic, cultural and ethical perspective. In this elective, the student will participate in administrative activities of a medium-sized community health system, working alongside its Chief Medical Officer and other administrative leaders/departments. Participation in case management, human resources management; health law/risk management; billing and accounting will allow the student to better understand the role of non-clinical departments on the patient care experience.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Suzie Tolliver (email@example.com)
Director: Dan Handel, M.D.
- 1) Analyze a patient�s hospital course from admission to discharge with regards to the roles played by registration, case management, billing and collections, human resources and risk management using observation, chart review and patient interview. (SBP1)
- 2) Describe the effects of accreditation on hospital policies, credentialing, documentation, staffing and quality assurance. (SBP3)
- 3) Describe the role of senior leadership events, operating/capital budget meetings, and strategic planning sessions in the implementation of hospital projects and policies through participation in administrative activities. (SBP1)
- 4) List basic principles of quality management as it is applied to healthcare systems including LEAN methodology and the basics of process improvement such as Rapid Improvement Events (RIEs). (SBP5)
- 5) Demonstrate basic leadership skills for interviewing, conflict resolution, running a meeting and negotiation. (P3)
- Professional Development Form; (Oral Presentation, Discussion with faculty, Quality Improvement Project )
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 35-40
Time Distribution: 75%Lecture/Seminar; 25%Library/Research
Elective Type Category: PD - Professional Development
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Suzie Tolliver (firstname.lastname@example.org) Housing available on a first come/first serve basis. Please contact Suzi Tolliver (email@example.com) as soon as you schedule the elective if housing is needed. All immunizations, screenings, BLS, required IUH educational modules and IUSM educational modules must be up to date prior to starting this elective.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None