2021-2022 Elective Title: 93YF750 — VIRTUAL GLOBAL HEALTH
Students will have an opportunity to learn global health principles and is an alternative opportunity to connect virtually with global health organizations and international global health partners. Please note: This is a two-week (2 credit) elective.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Jennifer Custer (email@example.com)
Director: Ruben Hernandez, M.D.
This elective is offered online
This elective is for two weeks.
- 1) Develop professional skills for navigating the complexities of different Public Health systems around the world (SBP1)
- 2) Describe health disparities around the world by learning on different health systems (SBP2)
- 3) Outline clinical conditions that affect the Refugee population, as well as familiarize with the CDC clinical guidelines on Refugee health (SBP2, MK7, MK6)
- 4) Identify common medical conditions from tropical areas of the world (MK7)
- 5) Describe immunization protocols recommended by travel medicine guidelines (SBP4)
- 6) Improve communication skills by interacting online with international Spanish language schools (ICS3, ICS1)
Professional Development Evaluation Form; (Students will be given different assignments on the different modules including submission of presentations, reflections essays and the submission of Nationally Recognized online modules on cultural competency by the U.S Department of Health and Human Services. Students will receive PASS grade after completion of 80% of all assignments.)
The student will be provided with e-learning by online modules hosted both by Canvas site as well as nationally recognized online free modules on cultural competencies. Learning themes will include Cultural competencies, Ethics in Global Health, Environmental Health, Refugee Health, Travel Medicine, Tropical Medicine, Global Health Social Disparities, Clinical scenarios, and Health care systems around the world. Students will also have the option to connect with a language school in El Salvador as well as being part of zoom virtual sessions with Family Doctors and Medical students in Costa Rica.
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Rotation:
Duty Hours: 35-40
Time Distribution: 95% Online; 5% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: PD - Professional Development
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Jennifer Custer (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH. For permission to enroll in this elective please contact Jennifer Custer (email@example.com) The Elective is 100% online, no housing needed. This is a 2-week (2 credit) elective. Please note that this course is not available during the second half of November or the second half of December. There will be an opportunity for students to obtain Spanish language lessons via skype with a Spanish School in El Salvador (these lessons will be at the student's own cost).
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None