2020-2021 Elective Title: 93AN713 — ANESTHESIA AND CRITICAL CARE
The discipline of anesthesia is closely connected with critical care medicine. Most often, students interested in a career in anesthesia often experience the operating room and intensive care unit in separate clinical experiences. This elective allows for students to experience both during a two-week elective. Students will spend one week with a critical care trained anesthesiologist on service caring for patients in the surgical intensive care unit (SICU). During the second week, students will have the opportunity to work with anesthesia residents and faculty in the operating room delivering clinical anesthesia to surgical patients.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Belinda Sanborn (email@example.com)
Director: Timothy T. Webb, M.D.
Location: University Hospital
- By the end of the elective students will be able to: 1) Perform basic clinical procedures associated with critical care and clinical anesthesia. (PC5)
- 2) Perform an oral presentation of a critically ill patient during clinical rounds. (ICS5)
- 3) Develop a basic clinical plan for a critically ill patient. (PC3)
- 4) Perform an oral presentation of a basic clinical plan for a critically ill patient. (ICS5)
- 5) Perform a preanesthetic evaluation for a surgical patient. (PC1)
- 6) Develop a basic clinical plan for delivery of an anesthetic for a surgical patient. (PC3)
- 7) Document (paper or EMR) a preanesthetic evaluation, including a basic anesthetic plan, for a surgical patient. (ICS5)
- 8) Explain the connection (both clinically and professionally) between the practices of critical care and anesthesia.(SBP1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Students will be evaluated based on their clinical performance both in the intensive care unit and in the operating room. Students will meet with the course director at the end of their first week to discuss any deficiencies. At the end of the elective, students will receive a grade of Satisfactory or Fail (see Grade Policy Phase 3).)
Prerequisites: 4th year status; Preferred for students interested in pursuing a career in anesthesiology.
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 50
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 5% Lecture/Seminar; 5% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: AC - Advanced Clinical
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS COURSE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH. For permission to enroll in this elective please contact Belinda Sanborn (firstname.lastname@example.org). This is a two-week (2 credit) elective.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None