Elective Title: 02AN711 — CLINICAL ANESTHESIOLOGY
1. Mastery of skills and knowledge to effectively manage emergency resuscitation. 2. Completion of core curriculum (provided). 3. Utilization of techniques including pulmonary artery catheterization, fiber optic endotracheal intubation, arterial catheterization, endobronchial intubation, nasotracheal intubation, etc. 4. Familiarization, as student desires, with special situations such as neonatal surgery, obstetrical anesthesia, trauma surgery, heart transplantation, mechanical ventricular assist device (e.g., Heart Mate), and numerous nerve blocks. 5. One-on-one discussions with preceptors on ethics and morality of medicine including end-of-life care, cost/benefit analyses, Medical Review Panel, Legislation, drug addiction, and medical policy.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: William W. Pond, M.D.
Campus: Fort Wayne
Location: Associated Anesethesiologists (Fort Wayne)
- 1) Show full proficiency in the management of patient airways (PC5)
- 2) Explain the mechanism, dose, use, indications, contraindications and formulation of common anesthetic agents, muscle relaxants, local anesthetics, sympathetic agents (MK4)
- 3) Participate in and describe medical policy making (SBP3)
- 4) Show proficiency in emergency management and resuscitation of critically ill patients (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Final Exam, Clinical Performance, Staff Assessment, Reading & Presentations)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 50 (no weekends)
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 15% Lecture/Seminar; 5% Library
Elective Type Category: AC- Advanced Clinical
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Sharon Roberts (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Fort Wayne electives must go thru the Fort Wayne campus coordinator Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org or 260-481-0224).
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None